I have a really delicious warming beverage I think you guys will LOVE! It’s called a golden milk latte and it made with turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla and the milk of your choice (I like coconut) and it’s so yummy and also healthy for you! If you’re like me and don’t really drink coffee but are also getting a bit sick of tea after months of cold weather this is a fun way to switch it up! You may have even seen a drink like this at your local coffee shop but those drinks are always WAY overpriced so I prefer to make my own at home. If you’re rushed in the mornings, save this drink for the weekend. It only takes a few minutes but we all know a few minutes can be hard to come by some mornings before work!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon honey, to taste (can sub pure maple syrup for vegan version)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (can sub 1-2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger, to taste)
- 1 5-inch cinnamon stick (can sub 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Set a small saucepan over low heat. Add the almond milk, 1 teaspoon honey, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon stick, and black pepper and stir with a whisk until combined.
- Bring to steaming, just below a simmer. Do not let it come to a boil. Keep just below a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove the cinnamon stick. If you added other spices that need to be strained out, strain using a fine mesh strainer then return to the pan. Stir in the vanilla and coconut oil (if using). Taste and add additional honey if desired (I like about 2 teaspoons).
- Use a frother to froth the tea, if desired. Pour into a mug and spoon the froth over the top. Serve.