For over a month, I had been craving oxtail. So I decided to do something about it. Oxtail isn’t something you find in the regular grocery store so I made a trip to the Korean grocery store. Between that and the hispanic stores, I am more likely to find ingredients for Nigerian food. There is also an African grocery store but believe it or not I have never been there.
(I am determined to find it within the next month or two because I want some Lucozade).
Many people like to use oxtail in pepper soup but it is also commonly found in Nigerian stew. This time I decided to make the stew using my oft neglected slow cooker.
On the topic of stews though, that was one adjustment I had to make when I moved to the US. Back home, stew usually referred to a cooked tomato, pepper and broth mixture with meat. In the US, it means a cooked pot with meat, vegetables and stock. NO tomatoes or pepper!!!
Anyway, on to the good stuff:
In a large ziploc bag, I added 2.5lbs of oxtail, coriander, cayenne, turmeric, Worcestershire sauce and 1 tbsp Maggi or bouillon seasoning.
Coriander is one of my favourite spices and I put it in a LOT of food. My mum loves turmeric and keeps telling me of its health benefits so I now use more of it when cooking. Be careful though, it is one of the spices that stains.
Cut up onions, tomatoes and peppers. I set half of the onion aside but if you want you can use up the whole onion. Blend tomatoes, paste, peppers, 1 tbsp Maggi, 0.5 tbsp coriander, (half) onion together then put the mixture in the slow cooker for 1 hour on low.
I LOVE scotch bonnet peppers. If I cannot find habanero peppers, that’s what I use. They can be very spicy so if you have low tolerance for heat, try a milder pepper.
(I will admit that I did not find this stew spicy but I love spicy food)
In a skillet, heat up some olive oil on med-high. Once the oil is hot, add the seasoned oxtail and brown each piece on all sides. Oxtail has some fat so you don’t need to use a lot of oil. It’s more for oiling the skillet
Slow-cooker oxtail stew
Cook: 9 hrs
- 2.5 lb oxtail
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 large red onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 cups vegetable or beef stock
- 2 tbsp Maggi seasoning
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1.5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- In large ziploc bag, add meat, 0.5 tbsp coriander, cayenne, turmeric, Worcestershire sauce and 1 tbsp Maggi or bouillon seasoning.
Make sure the meat is completely covered and set aside in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Cut the onions into slices and set half aside
- Blend tomatoes, paste, peppers, 1 tbsp Maggi, 0.5 tbsp coriander, half onion together then put the mixture in the slow cooker for 1 hour on low.
- When ready, heat up a little bit of oil in a skillet.
- Remove seasoned meat from the ziploc bag and place in skillet. Brown on all sides then add to tomato mixture along with the stock.
- Slice the remaining onion half and cook until translucent with minced garlic. Add this to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Allow too cool for a while then if a layer of fat has formed, scoop it off and discard.
- Serve and enjoy.